While most of Council District 11 sits west of the 405 freeway, there is a community to the east that Mike, with the support of residents and community groups like the Neighborhood Council of Westchester/Playa del Rey and Playa Vista, helped brand – Ladera.
The first homes built in the Ladera Heights home development in 1946 were built in the City of Los Angeles section on Condon Avenue. The original area included home plots in both the City and County of Los Angeles. Many of the houses were built by a contractor named J.J. Dupac. As the home development spread to the west of La Cienega in the 1950s and 1960s, the original area became known locally as “Old Ladera.”
In 2011, as a result of the Los Angeles City Council’s redistricting, the area was officially incorporated into the community of Westchester, in Mike’s district. However, since the area held a strong affiliation with Ladera Heights for 70 years, the residents petitioned the City Council, with Mike’s support, for the neighborhood name of “Ladera.” The community naming petition was unanimously approved by City Council on February 24, 2017.
The signs were the product of the work of community advocates, like resident Treva Miller, who argued that the signage helps residents not only feel pride in their neighborhoods, but allows them to request services and assistance with neighborhood improvement projects. Mike was proud to ask the Department of Transportation to create and post signs that officially designate and recognize the Ladera community.