L.A. City Council District 11
TRANSPORTATION INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
The Office of Councilmember Mike Bonin is looking for passionate undergraduate or graduate students interested in transportation and creating effective solutions for the City of Los Angeles. As part of his Westside Fast Forward initiative, Councilmember Bonin is accelerating multimodal transportation projects throughout the Westside to provide people with an alternative to being stuck in gridlock. Interns are an important part of our transportation team’s work to adopt progressive transportation policy and implement mobility solutions in Westside neighborhoods.
The ideal candidate for this position will be creative, organized, attentive, a team player, research-oriented, and a big-picture thinker. Candidates should have a high-level understanding of transportation policy and planning principles and practical experience using LA’s bus, rail, bike share, and other multimodal systems.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in the preparation of briefing memos and briefing books for the Councilmember
- Assisting with the City Council Transportation Committee, Metro Board, and Metro Committees
- Attending meetings with these boards and committees
- Conducting research as needed on transportation policies, projects, and programs
- Interfacing with the staff of government agencies and elected officials to complete tasks
Benefits from the internship include:
- A firsthand look at the mechanics of local-level transportation policy
- Work directly with Council staff to formulate creative solutions for traffic
- Participate in meetings with key players on transportation
- The opportunity to shape the future of transportation in Los Angeles
The position is unpaid and requires a minimum semester- or summer-long commitment of approximately twenty hours per week. Please send your resume and a brief cover letter to Transportation Director Eric Bruins at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
The 11th Council District represents the communities of Brentwood, Del Rey, Mar Vista, Pacific Palisades, Playa Del Rey, Playa Vista, Venice, Westchester, and West Los Angeles.