The Office of Councilmember Mike Bonin is seeking a smart, strategic, and creative project manager to fill the role of Mobility Deputy – a community-facing member of our Transportation Team. We’re looking for someone who loves transportation and transit issues, and is driven by the goal of building a more walkable, bikeable, and mobile Los Angeles. We need a strategic person that can help the Councilmember, as a Metro Board Director and Transportation Committee Chair, move our city forward, do good, and get things done through the implementation of smart and progressive transportation projects in Council District 11.
This is not a traditional 9-5 job. The position is a unique blend of field work in the district and project coordination downtown at city hall, with both public-facing engagement and behind-the-scenes project management. Some attendance at community meetings and events on nights and weekends will be required. The position is a great opportunity to put theory into practice by modeling new and innovative transportation ideas in the City of Los Angeles.
The ideal candidate should have done some or all of the following:
- Successfully developed and executed a strategy to advance a major project or initiative within a political environment.
- Worked to develop a creative new transportation/transit idea or project, and presented the project to a group of interested stakeholders.
- Developed or built consensus around a controversial project and/or has experience in grassroots/consensus based project development.
- Drafted a policy position paper that considered both the technical and political aspects of an issue, including providing recommendations for action.
Main duties include, but are not limited to:
- Spearhead work on transit, bicycle, pedestrian, and streetscape projects within the Westside Mobility Plan and coastal transportation plan area.
- Build relationships with residents, community leaders, business owners, and other key stakeholders along potential project corridors.
- Coordinate with LADOT, Bureau of Street Services, Bureau of Engineering, and other applicable City and/or other public agencies as needed to facilitate project implementation.
- Identify and develop projects for future grant cycles, such as the Active Transportation Program (ATP) and Metro Call for Projects.
- Represent the Councilmember at transportation-related community events and meetings in the coastal communities, and interface with staff in other elected offices as part of efforts to move forward transportation projects.
- Write event briefs, issue briefs, and meeting notes to prepare the Councilmember and staff him at public appearances.
- As needed, work with the Transportation Director to staff the Councilmember on transportation projects at the Transportation Committee and Metro Board of Directors, including drafting briefing memos and assisting with committee preparation.
- Recruit and help manage transportation team interns.
Compensation based on experience.
Application deadline – March 1, 2018
Please send cover letter and resume to Tricia Keane, Deputy Chief of Staff, at email@example.com. Please include “Mobility Deputy Application” in the subject line.