L.A. CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT 11
LEGISLATIVE INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
The Office of Councilmember Mike Bonin is looking for an organized, professional undergraduate or graduate student who is knowledgeable and passionate about legislation and public policy. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in policy or a career in government or political office. Interns will acquire hands-on experience of the legislative process, come face-to-face with the critical issues of the area, and work among the top policymakers and stakeholders in the 11th Council District.
The ideal candidate for this position will be attentive and organized, demonstrating the ability to conduct research, write reports, and retain and report back information from fast-paced meetings.
Skills that the ideal candidate will possess include, but are not limited to:
- – Excellent research and writing skills
- – Ability to retain and record information in high-stress environments
- – Exceptional organizational/secretarial skills
- – Ability to adapt to a fast-paced and sometimes unpredictable work environment
- – Political Science, Public Policy or related major
- – Knowledge of the most critical policy issues facing the 11th District
Tasks of the internship include but are not limited to:
- – Answering phones and assisting in administrative tasks
- – Assisting in monitoring and tracking legislation
- – Assisting in collecting documents for California Public Records Act requests
- – Assisting with gathering background research for Council and committee briefing memos
- – Assisting with post-meeting summaries for inclusion in the Legislative Weekly Reports
- – Assisting with the preparation of briefing memos for the Councilmember for Budget & Finance Committee, Homelessness & Poverty Committee, and Trade and Tourism Committee
- – Assisting with the preparation of a weekly document for all staff which details all committee and council meeting hot topics
- – Attending and reporting back with detailed notes from committee meetings on which we do not have a specific role (EE, Rules, Arts, Housing, etc.)
This is an unpaid internship that requires a semester commitment for a minimum of twenty hours each week. Please send your resume and a brief cover letter to Kate Pynoos at [email protected], and [email protected]
The 11th Council District represents the communities of Brentwood, Del Rey, Mar Vista, Pacific Palisades, Playa Del Rey, Playa Vista, Venice, Westchester, and West Los Angeles.