LOS ANGELES CITY COUNCILMEMBER MIKE BONIN
FIELD OFFICE INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY
The Office of L.A. City Councilmember Mike Bonin is looking for a creative and dedicated undergraduate or graduate student interested in working with neighborhoods and assisting in bringing government closer to city residents and stakeholders. Councilmember Mike Bonin is focused on putting neighborhoods first and empowering communities to participate in their government, and interns are sought who will help carry out this mission. This is an excellent opportunity for those interested in constituent advocacy and responsive government, and to acquire firsthand experience with local government.
The ideal candidate for this position will be organized, creative, self-motivated, comfortable and skilled working directly with community members, a team-player, tenacious, and focused on serving local neighborhoods.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Answering phones and assisting with walk-in constituents;
- Helping residents navigate city government and services, including intake and follow up on constituent casework;
- Assisting with in-depth casework and research, including departmental issues, potential legislation and more;
- Attending community meetings and events, and assisting Field Deputies with challenging projects.
Benefits from the internship include:
- Learn first-hand how City government works;
- The opportunity to participate in solving community and quality of life problems directly;
- Work directly with Council staff to formulate creative solutions for challenging issues;
- Participate in meetings with key players from all sectors of the community;
- Assist with and participate in important City and local events;
- Making a real difference in someone’s life.
Interns will be located in one of the District’s two field offices, in West Los Angeles or in Westchester.
The position is unpaid and requires a minimum semester- or summer-long commitment of approximately twenty hours per week. Please send your resume and a brief cover letter to Constituent Advocate, Morgan Bostic, Morgan.Bostic@lacity.org.
The 11th Council District represents the communities of Brentwood, Del Rey, Mar Vista, Pacific Palisades, Playa Del Rey, Playa Vista, Venice, Westchester, and West Los Angeles.